Jones-Haywood Dance School
Jones-Haywood Dance School has trained students who have gone on to become legendary figures in the dance world, some of whom return to conduct master classes, giving our current students an opportunity to work with world-class teachers and performers as mentors. Many of these renowned alumni attribute their success to the strong foundation they received at Jones-Haywood Dance School. Jones-Haywood Dance School has an active alumni group consisting of former students and members of the Capitol Ballet Company. You can get more information or join the JHDS Alumni Group by completing the form on the Contact page.
Among our notable alumni are:
- Chita Rivera, Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient and Tony award winning actress and dancer;
- Hinton Battle, three-time Tony Award winning actor and dancer;
- Sylvester Campbell, premier danseur, Royal Netherlands Ballet;
- Louis Johnson, noted choreographer, Purlie and the film version of The Wiz ;
- George Faison, Tony award-winning choreographer: The Wiz and so many more;
- Renee Robinson, former principal of the Alvin Ailey Company;
- Charles Augins, award-winning actor, dancer and choreographer of Five Guys Named Moe;
- Hope Clark, actress, choreographer, and former principal dancer with Katherine Dunham and The Alvin Ailey companies; and
- Kim Bears-Bailey, Assistant Artistic Director with Philadanco.
The Alumni Committee
The Alumni Committee is a group of former students and members of the Capitol Ballet Company who have dedicated themselves to the continuance of the Jones-Haywood Legacy. They lend their support to Sandra Fortune Green and the Jones-Haywood Dance School. The alumni, through countless volunteer hours, continually seek to strengthen and support the school in all ways necessary to its success.
Lauri Fitz-Pegado, Co-Chair
Joyce Mosso Stokes, Co-Chair
Carol Thompson Cole
Carol W. Foster
Adrian Vincent James
York Van Nixon III